You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Real Life Performance
The Hip Replacement Surgery Process
The road to restored motion
Making the decision to have surgery is a huge step in helping to regain your active lifestyle. This timeline will give you an overview of the preparation, surgery and recovery period. It may seem overwhelming, but patients who are properly prepared and motivated to stick with their rehabilitation program can return to their favourite activities sooner, with less pain and greater mobility.
PREPARING FOR SURGERY
You are the most important member in your team. Active participation in your preparation and recovery is vital to get the best from your joint replacement.
- Read and watch all educational material given to you
- Choose your support person
- Ask your surgeon any questions you may have
- Prepare yourself for surgery
- Prepare your home for your return after surgery
- Identify someone who can help you upon returning home
- Arrange for someone to take you to the hospital and pick you up when you are ready to go home
- Pack your hospital bag
- Eat a healthy diet
Your active participation is a key factor at all stages of your joint replacement.
Preparing yourself for surgery
Remaining as active as possible in the time leading up to your surgery may make your recovery easier. Low impact exercises to help with your fitness, strength and movement before surgery may include:
- Stationary cycling
Seek your Health Care Professional’s advice before beginning any new exercise program.