You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Shaping the Future of Surgery
Delivering Meaningful Innovation
The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler reduces leaks by 61% at the staple line without compromising perfusion compared to the Covidien (Medtronic) manual DST Series EEA Stapler.2#
Transforming Business Models
An anastomotic leak complication can lead to elevated hospital cost of a procedure by €35.000 +/- 1.500.3 Anastomotic leaks are multifactorial, the Ethicon Colorectal Program provides multidimensional solutions.
SAGES/EAES COVID-19 Announcement
SAGES, in conjunction with EAES, recently came out with several surgical response recommendations to the COVID-19 pandemic.4 Ethicon supports this position and recommends that a smoke evacuator is used in laparoscopic and open cases, in addition to the strict use of appropriate PPE.
Over a Century of Meaningful Innovation
At Ethicon, weʼre focused on improving health outcomes for patients and helping solve the greatest health challenges… with only meaningful innovation. The kind that led to the creation of the first sutures, that helped revolutionize surgery with minimally invasive procedures, and that elevates standards of care around the world.
1887 — Sterile Sutures
Johnson & Johnson’s mass production of sterile sutures and other products ushered in the widespread practice of modern antiseptic surgery that dramatically raised survival rates.
1960 — SURGICEL Original
SURGICEL made history as the first oxidized regenerated cellulose hemostat introducing new options for clinicians to manage surgical bleeding.
1969 — PROLENE Polypropylene Suture
The first synthetic sterile suture, PROLENE Polypropylene Suture remains the gold standard for cardiac bypass surgery for its strength, secure knotting and biocompatibility.
1978 — PROXIMATE Disposable Skin Stapler
This game-changing skin stapler introduced disposable instruments to the OR. The success of disposable PROXIMATE opened the door to new innovations for open and minimally invasive procedures.
1979 — Coated VICRYL (polyglactin 910) Suture
Used by surgeons around the world today for general surgery use, Coated VICRYL (polyglactin 910) Suture balances the surgeon’s need for slide with knot security in achieving reliable approximation and closure.
1988 —Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
First Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy and development of Minimally Invasive solutions
1993 — Ethicon Endo-Surgery
Founded in Ohio, Ethicon Endo-Surgery brought surgical technologies and solutions including staplers, energy devices and trocars.
1995 — Telesurgery
Our pioneering live telesurgery, Dr. J. Barry McKernan performed a laparoscopic cholecystectomy at the American College of Surgeons’ annual meeting introduced clinicians to the possibilities of distance learning.
1998 — DERMABOND Topical Skin Adhesive
DERMABOND Topical Skin Adhesive paved the way for replacing sutures with a new generation of skin closure solutions.5
1998 — HARMONIC Shears
Our launch of the first 5mm HARMONIC shears allowed surgeons to dissect, cut and coagulate with one ultrasonic energy device that could also reduce thermal damage and preserve tissue function.
2000 — Fighting Obesity
Committed to shaping the future of surgery in the fight against obesity and metabolic diseases and helping to elevate the standard of care through research and evidence, best-in-class education and training, innovative products and expanding patient access to care.
2003 — PLUS Sutures
The first commercially available antibacterial suture, Coated VICRYL Plus Antibacterial (polyglactin 910) Suture broke new ground in addressing a known risk factor for surgical-site infections (SSI) by preventing bacterial colonization of the suture.
2011 — ECHELON FLEX Powered ENDOPATH Stapler
The first powered endocutter with system-wide compression and stability helped to fuel the revolution to minimally invasive approaches. Virtually effortless firing reduces unwanted movement of distal tip, potentially reducing damage to target and surrounding tissue and organs compared to manual stapler firings.6-8†
2015 — VERB Surgical Partnership
Verb Surgical, founded in 2015, is developing a digital surgery platform built with technology from Verily (formerly Google Life Sciences) and Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. Verb’s platform will include robotics, visualization, advanced instrumentation, data analytics, and connectivity.
2016 — NEUWAVE Medical Acquisition
Ethicon acquires NeuWave Medical, Inc., a company that manufactures and markets minimally invasive soft-tissue microwave ablation systems. This acquisition is consistent with the strategy of advancing innovation and investing in areas of unmet medical needs such as surgical oncology.
2017 — MEGADYNE Acquisition
The acquisition of Megadyne’s innovative portfolio of electrosurgical tools represents a major step forward in Ethicon’s goal to deliver the most comprehensive suite of intelligent energy solutions that enhance precision and efficiency in the operating room.
MEGADYNE Mega Vac Plus Smoke Evacuator
The MEGADYNE MEGA VAC PLUS Smoke Evacuator can be used in both open and laparoscopic procedures. The MEGA VAC Smoke Evacuator automatically turns on when the pencil is activated for smoke removal15 and MEGA VAC provides surgeons with variable levels of flow rate to suit their surgical case requirements.15
MEGADYNE MINI VAC Smoke Evacuator
The MEGADYNE MINI VAC Smoke Evacuator is designed with an ultra-quiet, high-suction, high flow-rate vacuum motor.15 It includes 4-stage filtration with up to 35 hours of filter life.
MEGADYNE ULTRA VAC Smoke Evacuation Pencil
The adjustable shaft of the UltraVac Telescopic Smoke Evacuation Pencil minimizes the need to exchange electrodes.15 The UltraVac Telescopic Smoke Evacuation Pencil has full 360 degree swivel for maximum procedural flexibility.16-18
MEGADYNE ZIP-PEN Smoke Evacuation Pencil
The MEGADYNE Smoke Evacuation Portfolio minimizes exposure to surgical smoke.15 The ZIP PEN eliminates 100% of the torque off the back end of the pencil for improved surgeon economics.19‡ The ZIP PEN has large activation buttons that were designed for ease of use.20
# Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic (Covidien) manual EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not significantly different between devices.
† Benchtop testing of distal tip movement with Powered Echelon Flex™ vs manually fred devices. Based on similarity of relevant design features between Powered Echelon Flex and subsequent Powered ECHELON Devices, no signifcant diference in performance is expected. (040706-150921)
i. Compared to Mega Soft
ii. Compared to Mega Soft Universal
iii. Ethicon retrospective analysis of economic and clinical outcomes comparing the use of Echelon Powered vs. Medtronic non-powered endoscopic surgical staplers to treat patients undergoing video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy. Review of 3,006 cases between 2012 and 2015 from the Premier Perspective® Hospital Database. Data assessed included length of stay, total hospital cost, supply cost, room & board cost, incidence of transfusion, and incidence of hemostasis-related complications; all p ≤ 0.05.
‡ Only when in “trigger grip” position
1. 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) Collaborating Group. The 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) international snapshot audit of left colon, sigmoid and rectal resections - Executive Summary. Colorectal Dis. 2018;20 [Suppl 6]:13-14.
2. Ethicon, PRC077848 Leak Claims Testing, October 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PSB004557 A comparison of staple line perfusion between 29mm ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler (CDH29P) and 28mm DST Series EEA Circular Stapler (EEA2835), November 2016, Data on File (114092-190513 EMEA)
3. Zoucas E, Lydrup ML. Hospital costs associated with surgical morbidity after elective colorectal procedures: a retrospective observational cohort study in 530 patients. Patient Saf Surg. 2014;8(1):2
4. SAGES RECOMMENDATIONS REGARDING SURGICAL RESPONSE TO COVID-19 CRISIS [https://www.sages.org/recommendations-surgical-response-covid-19/]. Accessed 3/30/2020.
5. Ethicon, Inc. DERMABOND PRINEO Skin Closure System, Instructions For Use.
6. Ethicon, PRC04891 Completion Report for AMP Claims Testing for Stability and Motor Noise, October 2012, Data on File.
7. Ethicon, Stability Claims Memo, May 2011, Data on File.
8. Ethicon, Endocutter Stapler Comparison Report, April 2011, Data on File.
9. Ethicon, ENG-RPT-406, Verifcation Testing I, Universal Mega Soft, Oct 2013, Data on File. (115403-190529).
10. Ethicon, 28022018, Universal Plus Equivalency Memo, Feb 2018, Data on File. (115403-190529, 116660-190614, 116652-190614, 116657-190614).
11. Ethicon, 31072019, Megasoft Pad Weights Memo, July 2019, Data on File. (115403-190529).
12. Ethicon, 08032017, Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaning of Mega Soft Return Electrodes (ENG-RPT-519), March 2017, Data on File (116657-190614).
13. Ethicon, 07082019, MegaSoft Sales and Procedures Calculation 2019, Aug 2019, Data on File. (117766-190702).
14. Ethicon Inc, Premier thoracic analysis, Ethicon Powered vs Medtronic manual sample, Data on File.
15. As Per Instructions For Use (121521-190823, 121519-190823, 131119-200124, 131621-200203, 133896-200303)
16. Ethicon, 14012019, Design Claims Memo for Telescoping Pencils, Jan 2019, Data on File (131496-200131)
17. Ethicon, 5800134-01, Straight Swivel, Female, Ultra Vac 2, Nov 2016, Data on File (131496-200131)
18. Ethicon, 5800141-01, Swivel Insert, Male, Megadyne Telescoping Smoke Evacuation Pencil, Nov 2019, Data on File (131496-200131)
19. Ethicon, ZIP PEN™ Instructions for Use, Data on File (123063-190912)
20. Ethicon, ENG-RPT-418, Zip Pen Product Specification Verification Test Report, Feb 2018, Data on File (131696-200204)