You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Shaping the Future of Surgery
Delivering Meaningful Innovation
The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler reduces leaks by 61% at the staple line without compromising perfusion compared to the Covidien (Medtronic) manual DST Series EEA Stapler.2*
Transforming Business Models
An anastomotic leak complication can lead to elevated hospital cost of a procedure by €35.000 +/- 1.500.3 Anastomotic leaks are multifactorial, the Ethicon Colorectal Program provides multidimensional solutions.
Responding With a Caring Spirit
Early diagnosis of colorectal cancer can significantly improve 5-year survival rates and reduce the economic burden of this disease on healthcare systems.4
Over a Century of Meaningful Innovation
At Ethicon, weʼre focused on improving health outcomes for patients and helping solve the greatest health challenges… with only meaningful innovation. The kind that led to the creation of the first sutures, that helped revolutionize surgery with minimally invasive procedures, and that elevates standards of care around the world.
1887 — Sterile Sutures
Johnson & Johnson’s mass production of sterile sutures and other products ushered in the widespread practice of modern antiseptic surgery that dramatically raised survival rates.
1960 — SURGICEL Original
SURGICEL made history as the first oxidized regenerated cellulose hemostat introducing new options for clinicians to manage surgical bleeding.
1969 — PROLENE Polypropylene Suture
The first synthetic sterile suture, PROLENE Polypropylene Suture remains the gold standard for cardiac bypass surgery for its strength, secure knotting and biocompatibility.
1978 — PROXIMATE Disposable Skin Stapler
This game-changing skin stapler introduced disposable instruments to the OR. The success of disposable PROXIMATE opened the door to new innovations for open and minimally invasive procedures.
1979 — Coated VICRYL (polyglactin 910) Suture
Used by surgeons around the world today for general surgery use, Coated VICRYL (polyglactin 910) Suture balances the surgeon’s need for slide with knot security in achieving reliable approximation and closure.
1988 —Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
First Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy and development of Minimally Invasive solutions
1993 — Ethicon Endo-Surgery
Founded in Ohio, Ethicon Endo-Surgery brought surgical technologies and solutions including staplers, energy devices and trocars.
1995 — Telesurgery
Our pioneering live telesurgery, Dr. J. Barry McKernan performed a laparoscopic cholecystectomy at the American College of Surgeons’ annual meeting introduced clinicians to the possibilities of distance learning.
1998 — DERMABOND Topical Skin Adhesive
DERMABOND Topical Skin Adhesive paved the way for replacing sutures with a new generation of skin closure solutions.1
1998 — HARMONIC Shears
Our launch of the first 5mm HARMONIC shears allowed surgeons to dissect, cut and coagulate with one ultrasonic energy device that could also reduce thermal damage and preserve tissue function.
2000 — Fighting Obesity
Committed to shaping the future of surgery in the fight against obesity and metabolic diseases and helping to elevate the standard of care through research and evidence, best-in-class education and training, innovative products and expanding patient access to care.
2003 — PLUS Sutures
The first commercially available antibacterial suture, Coated VICRYL Plus Antibacterial (polyglactin 910) Suture broke new ground in addressing a known risk factor for surgical-site infections (SSI) by preventing bacterial colonization of the suture.
2011 — ECHELON FLEX Powered ENDOPATH Stapler
The first powered endocutter with system-wide compression and stability helped to fuel the revolution to minimally invasive approaches. Virtually effortless firing reduces unwanted movement of distal tip, potentially reducing damage to target and surrounding tissue and organs compared to manual stapler firings.1,*
2015 — VERB Surgical Partnership
Verb Surgical, founded in 2015, is developing a digital surgery platform built with technology from Verily (formerly Google Life Sciences) and Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. Verb’s platform will include robotics, visualization, advanced instrumentation, data analytics, and connectivity.
2016 — NEUWAVE Medical Acquisition
Ethicon acquires NeuWave Medical, Inc., a company that manufactures and markets minimally invasive soft-tissue microwave ablation systems. This acquisition is consistent with the strategy of advancing innovation and investing in areas of unmet medical needs such as surgical oncology.
2017 — MEGADYNE Acquisition
The acquisition of Megadyne’s innovative portfolio of electrosurgical tools represents a major step forward in Ethicon’s goal to deliver the most comprehensive suite of intelligent energy solutions that enhance precision and efficiency in the operating room.
ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler
The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler reduced leaks by 61% at the staple line without compromising perfusion compared to the Covidien (Medtronic) manual DST Series EEA Stapler.2*
HARMONIC HD 1000i Shears
Increased sealing speed, multi-functionality, and simplified steps for use allows for optimal efficiency.5#
ENSEAL X1 Large Jaw Tissue Sealer
ENSEAL X1 Large Jaw had significantly less bleeding at the distal tip vs LigaSure Impact in thick tissue. 6†
ECHELON FLEX GST System
The ECHELON FLEX GST System controls tissue movement to transect as you intend, even on challenging tissue.7‡
§ Review of 3,006 cases between 2012 and 2016 from the US Premier Healthcare Database. Data assessed included length of stay, total hospital cost, supply cost, room & board cost, incidence of transfusion, and incidence of hemostasis-related complications; all p ≤ 0.05.
* Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic (Covidien) manual EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not significantly different between devices.
# Based on a pre-clinical study on seal reliability and average time to transect 150mm of porcine jejunum, device measurements based on a metrology study, engineering study of average device tip grasping force and a porcine study comparing sealing times of HARMONIC™ ACE+7™ and HARMONIC™ HD1000i.
† Preclinical test of distal tip bleeding (ENSEAL™ vs. Impact-LF4318) in thick porcine mesentery base (p<0.001).
‡ Challenging tissue - thick, fragile, and varying thickness and density
1. 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) Collaborating Group. The 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) international snapshot audit of left colon, sigmoid and rectal resections - Executive Summary. Colorectal Dis. 2018;20 [Suppl 6]:13-14.
2. Ethicon, PRC077848 Leak Claims Testing, October 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PSB004557 A comparison of staple line perfusion between 29mm ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler (CDH29P) and 28mm DST Series EEA Circular Stapler (EEA2835), November 2016, Data on File (114092-190513 EMEA)
3. Zoucas E, Lydrup ML. Hospital costs associated with surgical morbidity after elective colorectal procedures: a retrospective observational cohort study in 530 patients. Patient Saf Surg. 2014;8(1):2
4. Digestive Cancers Europe. White Paper Colorectal Screening in Europe. Saving Lives & Saving Money. https://digestivecancers.eu/Documents/Uploaded/466-Document-DiCEWhitePaper2019.pdf?l=26058767 Accessed August 28, 2019
5. Ethicon, PRC074111B, Buccaneer DV Grasping Force – Tip Bite, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074125B, Buccaneer DV-Vessel Transection Speed, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074127B, Buccaneer DV Transection Speed – Marching And Tip Bite, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074432A, Buccaneer Energy Vessel Tissue Claims, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074607A, Buccaneer Metrology Claims, March 2016, Data on file (118714-190716 EMEA)
6. Ethicon, PSB004548 Final Report Brick Distal Tip Sealing Algo D, Sept 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PSP005819, Final Report- 2017 Brick Claims: Comparison of distal tip sealing performance between ENSEAL X1 Large Jaw (NSLX120L) and LigaSure Impact (LF4318), Sept 2017, Data on File (116497-190612 EMEA)
7. Ethicon, PRC076031B Tissue Performance Design Verification Test of 45mm Gripping Surface Technology (GST) Reloads with Echelon Flex 45mm Powered Plus Staplers, Sep 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC067394A Tissue flow and functional performance of ENDOPATH ECHELON™ Reloads (GST) and Covidien’s reloads with Tri-Staple technology, July 2014, Data on file (113328-190502 EMEA)
8. Miller DL, Roy S, Kassis ES, Yadalam S4, Ramisetti S4, Johnston SS5.. Impact of Powered and Tissue-Specific Endoscopic Stapling Technology on Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy Procedures: A Retrospective, Observational Study. Adv Ther. 2018 May;35(5):707-723