You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler
Reduced leaks at the staple line without compromising perfusion.1* The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler demonstrated an 85% reduction in anastomotic leaks compared with manual circular staplers (1.7% vs. 11.8%, p=0.02).2†
Features & Benefits
Now with clinical evidence2,3
ECHELON CIRCULAR demonstrated a 1.8% anastomotic leak rate in a multi-site, multi-country clinical study.3‡ In a separate clinical study, it demonstrated a 1.7% anastomotic leak rate, which was an 85% reduction compared to manual circular staplers (1.7% v. 11.8%, p=0.02).2†
Reduced potential leak paths4§
Designed with offset closure of the staple legs, 3D Stapling Technology evenly distributed compression to reduce potential leak paths.4§
Gripping Surface Technology provided gentler handling with precise compression where it is needed to reduce compressive forces on tissue by 33%.5¶
Less movement at the distal tip6β
Reduced force to fire by 97%.7€ Push button firing delivered significantly less movement at the distal tip for increased stability.6β The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler is designed with safety features that may help to minimize variation in usage and standardize performance across users.8
* Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic (Covidien) manual EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not significantly different between devices
† Impact of the Novel Powered Circular Stapler on Risk of Anastomotic Leakage in Colorectal Anastomosis. A Propensity Score-Matched Study. [ECHELON CIRCULAR 1.7% (1/60) vs. manual circular 11.8% (14/119), p=0.022]
‡ A Prospective, Multi-Center Evaluation of the ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler in Left-Sided Colorectal Anastomoses, N=168
§ Staple line analysis in benchtop testing (non tissue), comparing Ethicon CDH25P (closed to the lowest end of the tissue compression scale) to Covidien (Medtronic) manual EEA2535 (p<0.05). Even refers to pressure distribution underneath each individual staple. Comprehensive refers to pressure distribution over the entire staple line.
¶ Benchtop testing on porcine colon, comparing Ethicon CDH29P (closed to the lowest end of the tissue compression scale) to Covidien (Medtronic) manual EEA2835, p<0.001.
β Users firing in a porcine model, comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic Covidien EEA2835, p=0.003.
€ Benchtop testing (2-sample t test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic EEA2835, p=0.001.
1.Ethicon, PRC077848 Leak Claims Testing, October 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PSB004557 A comparison of staple line perfusion between 29mm ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler (CDH29P) and 28mm DST Series™ EEA™ Circular Stapler (EEA2835), November 2016, Data on File (114092-201126 EMEA)
2. Pla-Martí V, Martín-Arévalo J, Moro-Valdezate D, et al. Impact of the novel powered circular stapler on risk of anastomotic leakage in colorectal anastomosis: a propensity score-matched study. Tech Coloproctol. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10151-020-02338-y.
3. Herzig DO, Ogilvie JW, Chudzinski A, et al. Assessment of a circular powered stapler for creation of anastomosis in left-sided colorectal surgery: A prospective cohort study. Int J Surg. 2020;84:140-146.
4. Ethicon, PRC078258A Even Compression Claims Testing, November 2016, Data on File (115263-200608 EMEA)
5. Ethicon, PRC078621 Echelon Powered Circular Gentler Handling Test Completion Report, January 2017, Data on File (115224-200608 EMEA)
6. Ethicon, PRC078105 Distal Tip Movement Claims Testing, November 2016, Data on File (114093-210125 EMEA)
7. Ethicon, PRC078173A Reduced Force to Fire Claims Study, November 2016, Data on File (115898-210125 EMEA)
8. Ethicon, Summary of Design intent for ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler to support claims, November 2016, Data on File (115899-190605 EMEA)
© Johnson & Johnson Medical N.V., Belgium 2018-2019.
This site is published by Johnson & Johnson Medical N.V., Belgium which is solely responsible for its contents and is intended for EMEA audiences only. This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 22, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.
*As of March 2017, per internal research conducted by Ethicon.