You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter
Designed to minimize leak pathways1*
The same innovative 3D Stapling and Gripping Surface technologies used on the ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler.
Features & Benefits
Less compressive forces on tissue2†
Gripping Surface Technology (GST), a proprietary ridged surface, precisely compresses tissue where needed.3
Designed to evenly distribute compression throughout the staple line1*
With a gentle curved design, 3D Stapling Technology is designed
- to minimize high stress points throughout the staple line1*
- to evenly distribute compression throughout the staple line1*
- to limit potential leak pathways1*
Fewer Leaks at the Staple Line4‡
The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler combined with crossing staple lines from the ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter Stapler significantly reduced leaks at the staple line in colon tissue compared to the Medtronic DST Series EEA stapler combined with crossing staple lines from the Endo GIA Radial Reload with Tri-Staple Technology. 4‡
Less Tissue Slippage5§
With its parallel closure and tissue retaining pin, Echelon Contour Curved Cutter produced 9.1mm less tissue slippage during firing compared to Medtronic Endo GIA Radial Reload with Tri‐Staple Technology.5§
Designed to be Reloaded
The ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter Stapler’s reloadable architecture with staple overlap to the retention pin allows surgeons to create a continuous, extended staple line over multiple firings. The knife extends to the tissue retaining pin and the staple line extends beyond the pin. Helps avoid overloading tissue in the jaws of the device.6
Same deep pelvic access you depend on from the original CONTOUR Curved Cutter7¶
The ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter Stapler has a 21% smaller head width than Endo GIA™ Radial Reload with Tri-Staple™ Technology to enable deep pelvic access.8β The small head design allows placement of a 40mm cut line in the width of a 30mm space.9
* Finite element-based computational simulations (FEA) on simulated porcine tissue measuring tissue compression after approximation and staple formation, comparing average standard deviation of 5.481 for 2D staples to 5.109 for 3D staples (n=37, p<0.05).
† Benchtop testing in porcine colon comparing mean compression load of 22.35 lbf (n=32) for ECHELON CONTOUR to 32.56 lbf (n=30) for CONTOUR (p<0.05)
‡ Benchtop testing in porcine colon compared the rate of staple line leak failure at ≤30mmHg, compared Ethicon CDH29P/GCS40B to Medtronic SIGRADMT/EGIAUSTND/EEA2835, n=31 ea, p<0.05
§ Benchtop testing measuring change in cutline length, comparing means of 15.3mm for Medtronic Endo GIA™ Radial Reload with Tri-Staple™ Technology to 6.20mm for Ethicon Echelon Contour (n=15, p<0.05).
¶ Unique curved head design gives low pelvic access.
β ECHELON CONTOUR™ Curved Cutter Stapler, head width, 2.53in compared to Medtronic Endo GIA™ Radial Reload with Tri-Staple™ Technology, head width, 3.22in.
1. Ethicon, 500561940A.7 Silhouette Tissue Compression Simulation [Claims – EU], Oct 2020 Ethicon, 500632160A Design Intent for Echelon Contour Curved Cutter, Jan 2021, Data on file (170554-210315 EMEA)
2. Ethicon, 500632160A Design Intent for Echelon Contour Curved Cutter, Jan 2021, Data on file Ethicon, PRC092073A Silhouette Shaft Compression Force Claims Testing, Jan 2016, Data on file (166727-210208 EMEA)
3. Ethicon, 500632160A Design Intent for Echelon Contour Curved Cutter, Jan 2021, Data on file (166725-210208 EMEA)
4. Ethicon, PRC094924A CDH29P and GCS40B Leak Claims Testing: Ethicon Portfolio Compared to Medtronic Portfolio, May 2020, Data on file (162308-201209 EMEA)
5.Ethicon, PRC093137A Evaluation of Tissue Movement During Stapler Firing: Silhouette vs. Endo GIA Radial Reload Stapling Devices, Jan 2020, Data on file (162310-201209 EMEA)
6. Ethicon, SCN075253B Echelon CONTOUR Curved Cutter Design Claims Memorandum Approvals, Sep 2020, Data on file (162311-201209 EMEA)
7. Ethicon, PRC093434A Silhouette Pelvic Access [Claims], March 2020, Data on file (162307-201209 EMEA)
8. Ethicon, PRC0954405A Silhouette vs. Competitor Head Width [Claims], March 2020, Data on file Ethicon, PRC093434A Silhouette Pelvic Access [Claims], March 2020, Data on file (162306-201209 EMEA)
9. Ethicon, SCN075253C Echelon CONTOUR Curved Cutter Design Claims Memorandum Approvals, August 2020, Data on file (164642-210115 EMEA)
© Johnson & Johnson Medical N.V., Belgium 2018-2019.
This site is published by Johnson & Johnson Medical N.V., Belgium which is solely responsible for its contents and is intended for EMEA audiences only. This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 22, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.
*As of March 2017, per internal research conducted by Ethicon.