You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Haemostat
Built to stop continuous, broad-surface oozing* fast**,1-4,¥
Features & Benefits
SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Haemostat penetrates through the blood to stop bleeding at the source, effectively achieving haemostasis in a wet field5,6≠
The structure of SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Haemostat allows it to penetrate the surface of the blood to get to the source of bleeding.13,14 SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Haemostat provides a surface for platelet adhesion and aggregation, working with the patient's endogenous clotting factors to initiate clot formation10
Control of Bleeding
SURGICEL Powder provides efficient control of continuous oozing bleeding on broad surfaces.7-8± After haemostasis has been achieved, irrigation of excess powder can be performed and the bleeding site will not re-bleed.9≤
Fully absorbable in 7 to 14 days.10≥
Proven bactericidal in vitro against a broad range of gram-positive and gram-negative organisms, including various antibiotic-resistant bacteria (MRSA, VRE, PRSP and MRSE)11,12
Named a “Gold Winner" in the “DrugDelivery Devices and Combination Products” by the Medical Design Excellence Awards.***
* Continuous oozing defined as bleeding that will not stop with compression / simple packing
** TTH study of surgicel powder show average time to haemostasis of 30 seconds
***SURGICEL Powder is neither a drug delivery device or a combination product
¥ is ready to use out of the package with no preparation required
≠As demonstrated in vitro
±Continuous oozing defined as bleeding that will not stop with compression / simple packing
≤Based on a preclinical animal study
≥As shown in animal models
1. Ethicon, SURGICEL Powder versus SURGICEL Original. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 15-0061, Project No. 16438, September 2015, Data on file (080594-170919)
2. Ethicon, SURGICEL Powder versus Competitive Powdered Hemostats. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 16-0006, Project No. 16438, March 2016, Data on file (080594- 170919)
3. SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Hemostat, Instructions for Use. Ethicon, Inc. (080594-170919)
4. Ethicon, K-5678 Surgicel Endoscopic Applicator Summative Usability Design Validation Surgeon and Nurse Study, December 2016, Data on File (080594-170919)
5. Ethicon, 25_2-59164 Surface energy/tension analysis among ORC Aggregate, ORC Fine Fiber, and Arista – Project PIXIE, March 2017, Data on File (116968-190619)
6. US Patent Compacted Hemostatic Cellulosic Aggregates - Application 20170128618, May 11 2017, Available from https://patents.justia.com/patent/20170128618
7. Ethicon, SURGICEL Powder versus Competitive Powdered Hemostats. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 16-0006, Project No. 16438, March 2016, Data on file (079002- 170822)
8. Ethicon, Market Research on unmet need, Project Pixie Global Positioning Report, Dec 2014, Data on file (079002-170822)
9. Ethicon, Inc. SURGICEL Powder versus ARISTA™ AH. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 15-0120, Project No. 16438, September 2015, Data on File (079007-170822)
10. Hutchinson et al. Hemostatic efficacy and tissue reaction of oxidized regenerated cellulose hemostats. Cellulose;2012;9828-8 (117062-190620, 109987-190321 )
11. SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Hemostat, Instructions for Use. Ethicon, Inc. (078999-170822)
12. Data on File - 100408840-2 ORC Powder Bactericidal efficacy (078999-170822)
13. Ethicon, Surface energy/tension analysis among ORC Aggregate, ORC Fine Fiber, and Arista – Project PIXIE, March 2017, Data on file (079001-170822
14. Ethicon, US Patent Compacted Hemostatic Cellulosic Aggregates - Application 20170128618, May 11 2017, Data on file (079001-170822)
© Johnson & Johnson Medical N.V., Belgium 2018-2019.
This site is published by Johnson & Johnson Medical N.V., Belgium which is solely responsible for its contents and is intended for EMEA audiences only. This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 22, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.
*As of March 2017, per internal research conducted by Ethicon.