You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Our services and solutions
At the Surgical Process Institute (SPI) we aim to transform the surgical experience to enable surgeons and hospitals to deliver consistent quality of care and efficiency in their OR.
Following decades of successful innovation in surgery, there remains considerable variability in outcomes.
Driving meaningful innovation to improve outcomes and efficiency in an evolving healthcare landscape is multifactorial and includes patients, technology as well as operative factors. SPI focuses on the operative factors:
- Variability in surgical procedures: Variability in performing surgical procedures even within surgical teams and departments
- Medical errors and adverse events: Medical errors estimated to be the #3 cause of death in the US1, 8-12% of patients admitted to hospital in Europe suffer from adverse events2
- Growing nurse shortage and turnover: Up to 26% increase in nurse vacancies across Europe3
- Varied Surgeon Experience: Influencing overall patient morbidity and operative time4
With SPI, our vision is to help hospitals to address these challenges and enable surgery at its best, every time.
How do we help?
At the Surgical Process Institute (SPI), we leverage our deep clinical expertise to create digital technologies designed to transform the surgical experience.
We offer a digital surgery solution that enables surgeons to choreograph their OR, guiding the entire care team seamlessly through every surgery.
By supporting care teams to operate in a more synchronized and coordinated way, we aim to help surgeons and hospitals in delivering more consistent quality of care and efficiency in their OR.
SPI’s digital solution offers a system of synchronized workflows, real-life learning and effortless documentation, enabling hospitals to take a first step into the future of surgery
Intuitive and modular platform allowing you to digitally design and implement your own surgical workflows
Automated digital documentation that can record all steps of the surgery
Analytics capabilities enabling continuous learning by collecting surgery data and translating it into insights
Publications featuring SPI technology can be found at the following links:
1. Makary MA, Daniel M. Medical error - the third leading cause of death in the US. BMJ 2016.
2. Special Eurobarometer 411. Wave EB80.2. Patient safety and quality of care. 2014.
3. Jobfeed. Staffing Industry Analysis. Europe – Demand for nursing staff on the rise, UK sees biggest shortage of nurses. January 2018. Available from https://www2.staffingindustry.com/eng/Editorial/Daily-News/Europe-Demand-for-nursing-staff-on-the-rise-UK-sees-biggest-shortage-of-nurses-44699 [Accessed October 2018]
4. Schmidt CM, Turrini O, Parikh P et al. Effect of hospital volume, surgeon experience, and surgeon volume on patient outcomes after pancreaticoduodenectomy: a single-institution experience. Arch Surg 2010. 145:634–640.
All links to external website links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
© Johnson & Johnson Medical GmbH 2020. All rights reserved.
This site is published by Johnson & Johnson Medical GmbH.
This site is for visitors from Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Third party trademarks used herein are the property of the respective third parties.