You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Our commitment to Colorectal surgery focuses on reducing the risk of complications and associated costs. By combining innovation with education and research, we strive to have more predictability in outcomes.
Ethicon Colorectal Solutions
We continuously invest in innovation to address the key challenges that impact colorectal case outcomes. Our innovative products are designed to support surgeons in colorectal procedures.
Reducing Anastomotic Leaks
Anastomotic leaks still occur in up to 8.6% of cases.1 We are partnering with surgeons on multiple fronts to help reduce this devastating surgical complication.
Colorectal Professional Education Courses
The Johnson & Johnson Institute offers comprehensive Colorectal specialty learning opportunities on the safe and efficacious usage of Ethicon devices, surgical techniques and measures to reduce complications and improve patient outcomes. These educational experiences include in-person courses, digital learning and hands-on practice.
Partnering to Optimize Colorectal Cancer Screening
JJMDC has entered into a partnership with the patient association Digestive Cancers Europe (DiCE) aimed at understanding what the main barriers are, optimizing colorectal cancer screening in selected markets in Europe, and identifying how the barriers can be removed, by developing an action plan for disseminating policy solutions.
Featured Colorectal Products
ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler
The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler reduces leaks by 61% at the staple line without compromising perfusion compared to the Covidien (Medtronic) manual DST Series EEA Stapler.2*
ENSEAL X1 Large Jaw Tissue Sealer
Has a separate seal and cut functionality designed to provide surgeons the control to manage a variety of surgical tasks.
ECHELON FLEX GST System
The ECHELON FLEX GST System# enables you to transect as you intend even on challenging tissue.3†
Education & Training
The Johnson & Johnson Institute offers webinars on colorectal specific topics. Join them live or via the webinar library.
Research & Evidence
We are partnering with the ESCP whereby we are joining forces in studying the causes of anastomotic leak in the ESCP cohort studies and creating educational platforms to reduce the variability in surgical technique in Europe.
* Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic (Covidien) manual EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not significantly different between devices.
# System components include ECHELON FLEX Powered Stapler and ECHELON ENDOPATH Reloads with Gripping Surface Technology.
† Challenging tissue—thick, fragile, and varying thickness and density
1. 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) Collaborating Group. The 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) international snapshot audit of left colon, sigmoid and rectal resections - Executive Summary. Colorectal Dis. 2018;20 [Suppl 6]:13-14.
2. Ethicon, PRC077848 Leak Claims Testing, October 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PSB004557 A comparison of staple line perfusion between 29mm ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler (CDH29P) and 28mm DST Series EEA Circular Stapler (EEA2835), November 2016, Data on File (114092-190513 EMEA)
3. Ethicon, PRC076031B Tissue Performance Design Verification Test of 45mm Gripping Surface Technology (GST) Reloads with Echelon Flex 45mm Powered Plus Staplers, Sep 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC067394A Tissue flow and functional performance of ENDOPATH ECHELON™ Reloads (GST) and Covidien’s reloads with Tri-Staple™ technology, July 2014, Data on file (113328-190502 EMEA)
4. Ethicon, E472 40 mm Curved Cutter Stapler Design Verification Matrix-DR000142, December 2012, Data on file (113329-190502 EMEA)