You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Ethicon is committed to working with the Thoracic community to Shape the Future of Thoracic surgery. By improving the understanding of key complications, investing in innovation and education we hope to work towards the very best patient outcomes.
Ethicon Thoracic Solutions
We are continuously investing in innovation to address the key challenges in VATS surgery. We offer a comprehensive evidence-backed product portfolio.
ETHICON Štupnik VATS Core Skills Simulation
ETHICON is committed to providing hands on training that drives the required core skills to perform VATS Surgery. This tactile training also provides a safe environment to practice the safe and effective use of Endocutters and Energy devices.
Thoracic Professional Education Courses
Through a mix of hands on training and lectures, we provide courses designed to elevate the confidence and ability needed to successfully perform advanced VATS procedures. To hear directly from our course leaders click on the link below
Ethicon is committed to gathering evidence to improve patient care and outcomes. Our investment and development of the Physiologic Lung Model is allowing us to better understand the causes of Air leak and develop solutions and strategies to prevent them. We have multiple peer-reviewed studies, demonstrating that ECHELON FLEX Powered Staplers have been associated with improved clinical and economic outcomes compared to Medtronic non-powered staplers.1*
Featured Thoracic Products
ECHELON FLEX Powered Vascular Stapler
Designed with a narrower curved blunt tip anvil, thinner shaft, and greater manual articulation compared to Endo GIA Curved Tip Reload with Tri-Staple Technology2# to enable precise placement on fragile vessels during VATS surgery.
ECHELON FLEX GST System
The ECHELON FLEX GST System† controls tissue movement to transect as you intend even on challenging tissue.3‡ Featuring Gripping Surface Technology, the ECHELON FLEX GST System is available in both 45mm and 60mm.
HARMONIC ACE+7 Shears
HARMONIC ACE+7 sealed pulmonary vessels up to 7mm with minimal thermal damage.4¥
* Review of 3,006 cases between 2012 and 2016 from the US Premier Healthcare Database. Data assessed included length of stay, total hospital cost, supply cost, room & board cost, incidence of transfusion, and incidence of hemostasis-related complications; all p ≤ 0.05.
# PVE35A, EGIA30CTAVM, and PSE45A articulation data from IFUs of each device.
† System components include ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Stapler and ENDOPATH ECHELON™ Reloads with Gripping Surface Technology.
‡ Challenging tissue—thick, fragile, and varying thickness and density
¥ Based on a porcine study with 24 vessel sealing instances with a vessel size up to 7mm.
§ Continuous oozing defined as bleeding that will not stop with compression / simple packing
¶ TTH study of surgicel powder show average time to haemostasis of 30 seconds
€ Is ready to use out of the package with no preparation required
1. Miller DL, Roy S, Kassis ES, Yadalam S4, Ramisetti S4, Johnston SS5.. Impact of Powered and Tissue-Specific Endoscopic Stapling Technology on Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy Procedures: A Retrospective, Observational Study. Adv Ther. 2018 May;35(5):707-723
2. Ethicon, PRC068229A ECHELON FLEX Powered Vascular Stapler Commercial Claim Sub-Completion Report 1, Sep 2014, Data on file (113315-190502 EMEA)
3. Ethicon, PRC076031B Tissue Performance Design Verification Test of 45mm Gripping Surface Technology (GST) Reloads with Echelon Flex 45mm Powered Plus Staplers, Sep 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC067394A Tissue flow and functional performance of ENDOPATH ECHELON Reloads (GST) and Covidien’s reloads with Tri-Staple technology, July 2014, Data on file (113328-190502 EMEA)
4. Ethicon, PCSD002604 - HARMONIC™ Shears with Advanced Hemostasis (HARH23): Design Verification Acute Thoracic Study in the Pig, Oct 2018, Data on File. Ethicon, SCN033130C - HARMONIC™ ACE™+7 Claims Support: Equivalency to ACE™+ w/ATT, Oct 2018, Data on File (115658-190531 EMEA)
5. Ethicon, SURGICEL Powder versus SURGICEL Original. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 15-0061, Project No. 16438, September 2015, Data on file. Ethicon, SURGICEL Powder versus Competitive Powdered Hemostats. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 16-0006, Project No. 16438, March 2016, Data on file. SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Hemostat, Instructions for Use. Ethicon, Inc. Ethicon, K-5678 Surgicel Endoscopic Applicator Summative Usability Design Validation Surgeon and Nurse Study, December 2016, Data on File (080594-170919 EMEA)