You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
We Are in This Together
For over 100 years, Ethicon has stood side by side with healthcare professionals around the world, sharing the same passion to improve and save lives. We are humbled to support your efforts to keep healthcare running during times of unprecedented disruption. Together we continue evolving standards of care in surgery and innovating to improve outcomes for patients everywhere.
You Can Count on Us
We understand the COVID-19 pandemic abruptly changed the way healthcare professionals collaborate, engage and deliver care on the front lines. You can count on us to adapt and help. Our Johnson & Johnson Institute recently launched the COVID-19 Resources Center, powered by dialogEDU, in collaboration with Advances in Surgery (AIS) Channel.
Together, We Can Reduce Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Risk
One action can make a difference in reducing surgical site infection risk. Join the movement and watch these inspiring videos.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years, from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our surgical technologies and solutions include sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats along with interventional ablation, robotics and digital solutions.
Tackling Key Disease States
Learn more about our specialty-focused training programs and find information about our evidence-backed products and links to patient-facing resources.
Helping you reduce complications and lowering the rate of return to the operating room is our priority.
Ethicon continues to lead the way in bariatric and metabolic research. A new study shows patients with mild to moderate obesity who underwent bariatric surgery kept their blood pressure under control and required fewer or no medications compared to patients on standard medical therapy.1
ENSEAL® X1 Tissue Sealer was completely redesigned to be easy to use while enabling more efficiency and stronger sealing than LigasureTM Maryland.1-3
ENSEAL® Tissue Sealers deliver efficient and secure sealing to help surgeons drive the best possible patient outcomes.2,4
Learn how you can partner with Ethicon to build a stronger OR safety environment for staff and patients.
The use of triclosan-coated sutures for surgical site infection (SSI) prevention is now recommended by 5 independent authorities.6-10,14
Engaging & Educating Patients
Proud to partner with Colorectal Cancer Alliance. During the COVID-19 pandemic, colorectal cancer screenings dropped roughly 90% and diagnosis fell by 32%.11 Now more than ever, patients need to hear that it’s safe to get screened.
More than two-thirds of Americans (68%) say they or someone in their household delayed or canceled healthcare services due to COVID-19.12 My Health Can’t Wait aims to help patients and providers get the resources and tools they need to stay connected and prioritize needed care.
News & Events
Ethicon’s Echelon Circular Powered Stapler Associated With Major Reduction in Serious Complications Following Colorectal Surgery
Ethicon Surgical Innovations Lab Kicks Off U.S. Mobile Tour With Visits to Hospitals Nationwide
Ethicon Expands Advanced Biopolar Energy Portfolio With Launch of Enseal X1 Curved Jaw Tissue Sealer
Ethicon Launches New Echelon+ Stapler With GST Reloads To Increase Staple Line Security And Reduce Complications In Surgery
- Schiavon, C. A., Bhatt, D. L., Ikeoka, D., Santucci, E. V.,Santos, R. N., Damiani, L. P., . . . Drager, L. F. (2020). Three-YearOutcomes of Bariatric Surgery in Patients With Obesity andHypertension. Annals of Internal Medicine, 173(9), 685-693.doi:10.7326/m19-3781
- Compared to previous generations of Enseal devices (099986-210202).
- ENSEAL® X1 Curved Jaw Tissue Sealer can capture, seal and transect a longer length of tissue per single activation due to a 16% (or 3.4mm) longer jaw (p < 0.001) and a 19% (or 3.5mm) longer cut length (p < 0.001) compared to LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937). (145163-200630).
- In benchtop testing on porcine arteries, vessels sealed with ENSEAL® X1 Curved Jaw had a 22% higher average burst pressure than vessels sealed with LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937), (1055mmHg vs. 862mmHg, p < 0.001). (145079-200629).
- 112 of 112 vessels sealed successfully on first pass in an acute porcine model. All seals maintained hemostasis during blood pressure challenge. During blood pressure challenge, systolic blood pressure was increased to at least 200 mmHg for a minimum of 10 minutes to simulate a hypertensive crisis. (095317-200519)
- Ban KA, Minei JP, Laronga C, et al. American College of Surgeons and Surgical Infection Society: Surgical Site Infection Guidelines, 2016 Update. J Am Coll Surg. 2016;224(1):5974.
- Berríos-Torres SI, Umscheid CA, Bratzler DW, et al. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guideline for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 2017. JAMA Surg. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0904.
- WHO Global Guidelines for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 2016.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guideline. Surgical site infections: prevention and treatment. NICE website. www.nice.org.uk /guidance/ng125/chapter/Recommendations. Accessed October 17, 2019.
- Prevention of postoperative wound infections. Recommendation of the Committee for Hospital Hygiene and Infection Prevention (KRINKO) at the Robert Koch Institute. Bundesgesundheitsbl. 2018; 61(4):448473.
- Periyanayagam, U., MD, MPH, Dwyer, A., Kim, J., Garcia, R., MPH, Worrall, S., MPH, & Davis, A., MPPA. (2020). New Colorectal Cancer Diagnoses Fall by One-Third as Colonoscopy Screenings and Biopsies Grind to a Halt During Height of COVID-19 (pp. 1-6, Research Brief). KomodoHealth™.
- Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies Elective Surgery Survey. Accessed August 4, 2020. About the Survey: This survey was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of DePuy Synthes from July 9-13, 2020 among 2,016 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. (CLICK TO PDF)
- Impact of the Novel Powered Circular Stapler on Risk of Anastomotic Leakage in Colorectal Anastomosis. A Propensity Score‐Matched Study.[ECHELON CIRCULAR1.7% (1/60) vs. manual circular 11.8%(14/119), p=0.022]
- Guidelines on reducing the risk of surgical site infections are general to triclosan-coated sutures and are not specific to any one brand.