You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Backed by a Body of Evidence
ECHELON products are designed for exceptional tissue management and control. It's the only portfolio that goes "beyond the benchtop," using real-world evidence in colorectal, bariatric and thoracic surgery to support innovative performance and design for a better way to staple.
Body of Evidence: Colorectal
The ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler demonstrated anastomotic leak rates of 1.8% and 1.7% in two clinical studies.2,3 It has an innovative combination of Gripping Surface Technology and 3D Stapling Technology and it reduced leaks at the staple line without compromising perfusion.1
The ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler demonstrated the following clinical results in colorectal surgery.
anastomotic leak rate in a multi-site, multicountry clinical study (3/168)2
anastomotic leak rate in a single institution clinical study (1/60)3
reduction in anastomotic leak rate compared to manual circular staplers (1.7% v. 11.8%, p=0.02)3
ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Staplers with GST Reloads are the only surgical staplers backed by large-scale, real-world, peer-reviewed evidence associated with improved clinical and economic outcomes in bariatric surgery.
Up to 73%
reduction in hemostasis-related complications vs Medtronic Signia™ with Tri-StapleTM Reload (0.67% vs 2.51%, p=0.003)6
lower median total hospital cost vs Medtronic Signia™ with Tri-StapleTM Reload ($9,771 vs $10,487, p<0.001)6
Body of Evidence: Thoracic
The ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Vascular Stapler plus ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Stapler with GST has been shown through retrospective studies to be associated with the reduction of complications without an increase in price.7 GST offers two-stage compression and stability while PVS offers improved access and precision via a narrow anvil, increased articulation, and smaller shaft diameter for vascular firings.
The ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Vascular Stapler plus the ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Stapler with GST are supported through real-world evidence and were associated with improved hemostasis outcomes without increasing cost in thoracic surgery.
reduction in bleeding-related complications (4.8% vs 14.2%, p=0.01)8
reduction in length of stay (4.99 vs 5.82, p=0.047)9
increase in hospital costs compared to using a single Medtronic stapler10
All Surgical Stapling Products
- Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not signifcantly diferent between devices.
- A Prospective, Multi Center Evaluation of the ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler in Left–Sided Colorectal Anastomoses, N=168.
- Impact of the Novel Powered Circular Stapler on Risk of Anastomotic Leakage in Colorectal Anastomosis. A Propensity Score-Matched Study. [ECHELON CIRCULAR 1.7% (1/60) vs. manual circular 11.8% (14/119), p=0.022]
- Challenging tissue - thick, fragile, and varying thickness and density
- Based on literature search performed May 2019. Large-scale is defned as sample size greater than 3500 cases.
- Rawlins L, Johnson BH, Johnston SS, et al. Comparative Efectiveness Assessment of Two Powered Surgical Stapling Platforms in Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Retrospective Matched Study. Medical Devices: Evidence and Research. 2020:13 195–204. doi: https://doi.org/10.2147/MDER.S256237. Analysis of clinical and economic outcomes from 982 laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy cases between March 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018 from Premier Healthcare Database (0.61% versus 2.24%, p=0.0012; $9,771 vs. $10,487, p<0.001)
- Miller DL, Roy S, Kassis ES, Yadalam S, Ramisetti S, Johnston SS. Impact of powered and tissue-specifc endoscopic stapling technology on clinical and economic outcomes of video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy procedures: a retrospective, observational study. Adv Ther. 2018;35(5):707-723.
- Miller DL, et al. Impact of powered and tissue-specifc endoscopic stapling technology on clinical and economic outcomes of video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy procedures: a retrospective, observational study. Review of 1,051 cases between 2015 and 2016 from the Premier Healthcare Database (4.8% vs 14.2%, p=0.010).
- Miller DL, Roy S, Kassis ES, et al. Impact of Powered and Tissue-Specifc Endoscopic Stapling Technology on Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy Procedures: A Retrospective, Observational Study. Adv Ther. 2018 Apr 16. doi: 10.1007/s12325-018-0679-z. Review of 1,051 cases between 2015 and 2016 from the Premier Healthcare Database. Length of stay: 4.99 vs 5.82, p=0.047.
- Miller DL, Roy S, Kassis ES, et al. Impact of Powered and Tissue-Specifc Endoscopic Stapling Technology on Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy Procedures: A Retrospective, Observational Study. Adv Ther. 2018 Apr 16. doi: 10.1007/s12325-018-0679-z. Review of 3,006 cases between 2012 and 2016 from the Premier Healthcare Database ($23,785 vs $26,180, p=0.0078).