You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
ECHELON CONTOUR™ Curved Cutter
Reduced risk factors for leaks with the improved ECHELON CONTOUR curved cutter.1 The same deep pelvic access you depend on from the original CONTOUR curved cutter,2 but with gentler tissue handling.3
Features & Benefits
Less Tissue Trauma
Gripping Surface Technology (GST) precisely compresses tissue only where needed for 31% reduced compressive forces on tissue and 37% less tissue trauma compared to traditional staplers.4
Reduced Potential Leak Pathways
With a gentler curved design, 3D Stapling Technology minimized high stress points, evenly distributed compression throughout the staple line, and reduced potential leak pathways.5
Fewer Leaks at the Staple Line
ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter combined with ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler had significantly fewer leaks at the staple line compared to Medtronic EEA + Radial reload.6
Designed to be Reloaded
ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter has a unique curved head and tissue retaining pin, which may be used to prevent overloading of the tissue in the jaws of the device. The knife extends to the retaining pin and the staple line extends beyond the pin, supporting multiple firings when needed to complete a single transection.
Less Tissue Slippage
With its parallel closure and tissue retaining pin ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter produced less tissue slippage during firing compared to Medtronic EndoGIA Radial Reload with Tri‐Staple Technology.7
1. Risk factors for leaks include the following: tissue trauma and a staple line with uneven compression. Benchtop testing on porcine colon comparing mean mucosal capture of 46.3% (n=30) for Echelon Contour to 74.46% (n=30) for Contour (p<0.05). Finite element‐based computational simulations (FEA) on simulated porcine tissue measuring tissue compression after approximation and staple formation, comparing average standard deviation of 5.481 for 2D staples to 5.109 for 3D staples (n=37, p<0.05).
2. Unique curved head design gives low pelvic access and enhanced visibility of anatomic structures
3. Benchtop testing in porcine colon comparing mean mucosal capture of 46.3% (n=30) for Echelon Contour to 74.46 (n=30) for Contour (p<0.05).
4. Benchtop testing in porcine colon comparing mean compression load of 22.35 lbf (n=32) for ECHELON CONTOUR to 32.56 lbf (n=30) for CONTOUR (p<0.05) and comparing mean mucosal capture of 46.3% (n=30) for Echelon Contour to 74.46% (n=30) for Contour (p<0.05).
5. Finite element‐based computational simulations (FEA) on simulated porcine tissue measuring tissue compression after approximation and staple formation, comparing average standard deviation of 5.481 for 2D staples to 5.109 for 3D staples (n=37, p<0.05).
6. Benchtop testing in porcine colon compared the rate of staple line leak failure at ≤30mmHg, compared Ethicon CDH29P/GCS40B to Medtronic SIGRADMT/EGIAUSTND/EEA2835, n=31 ea p<0.05.
7. Benchtop testing measuring average tangential strain, comparing means of 0.423 for Radial Reload to 0.164 for Echelon Contour (n=15, p<0.05).
8. ECHELON CONTOUR™ Curved Cutter Stapler, head width, 2.53 in compared to ENDO GIA Radial Reload with Tri‐ Staple™ Technology, head width, 3.22 in
© Ethicon US, LLC. 2019.
For complete indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions, please reference full package insert.
This site is published by Ethicon US, LLC, which is solely responsible for its contents, and is intended for U.S. audiences only.
This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 20, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.