You are about to leave jnjmedicaldevices.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Sample Letter to Write to Your Employer
Your Full Name
Your Full Address
Your City, State and Zip
Your Phone Number with Area Code
Benefits Manager’s Name
Employer’s City, State, Zip
Dear Benefits Manager (insert name),
In your first paragraph, mention the following points:
- Discuss how you recently contacted your insurance provider to inquire about weight-loss surgery and you were told it is not covered under their policy.
- Share your personal connection with this disease. Tell the individual how severe obesity and its related conditions have affected you and your family. Elaborate on the number and cost of medications you are currently taking due to your obesity-related conditions. (Remember to remain brief. A short letter can accomplish just as much as a long one.)
In your second paragraph, mention the following items:
- How weight-loss surgery can help people with severe obesity.
- The number of people affected by severe obesity
- How bariatric surgery may relieve or resolve any obesity-related conditions you may be affected by.
In your last paragraph, discuss the following closing items:
- Request that your employer adjust their insurance policy to include weight-loss surgery or discuss with their provider the possibility of adding the procedure(s).
- Request a timely response and thank them for their time and assistance.
Your Full Name
This content has been adapted from the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC.)